Friday, April 4, 2008

An interesting log entry

A few (okay 2) years ago I wrote a small page on my website documenting how to get container statistics out of Websphere 5.x from the command-line. To this day, awstats shows that, and the page on monitoring DB2 UDB with Nagios as the single biggest hit pages. I like to occasionally take note of where people are coming from to look at the information.

In looking at the logs this morning, I see the standard incoming search result from google for something like "websphere + jdbc + command-line" or "websphere + jdbc + monitoring" but what caught my eye was something in the USERAGENT string:

"Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.12) Gecko/20080211 Fedora/2.0.0.12-1.oc2 (CK-IBM) (CK-IBM) Firefox/2.0.0.12"

Was someone from IBM looking at *MY* notes? Why, yes, they were:

torolab.ibm.com

Thanks for visiting guys. I'm even more honored that it was someone from Toronto.

EDIT: I just noticed the CK part of the IBM thing. I finally remembered why that looked familiar. Does IBM have an internal client customization kit for Firefox? For those not in the know, here's a link to the mozilla wiki entry on the concept/program:

http://wiki.mozilla.org/CCK:Overview

Basically it was the repackager for Netscape that allowed ISP branding, locked settings and a host of other features. I wasn't aware that there was one for Firefox but I haven't really needed one since I left CLA.

No comments: